What is Dry Scalp and How Can You Prevent It?
Dry scalp is never fun. Usually, it’s annoying. Sometimes, it’s embarrassing.
It starts when your scalp doesn’t have enough natural oil or moisture and, if left untreated, it can also lead to dandruff. (Yes, there’s a difference between the two.)
To solve the problem, some try washing their hair with a shampoo designed to remove dead skin and add moisture. And sometimes the problem is the shampoo itself. Specifically, the sulfates inside them.
How Sulfates Can Cause Dry Scalp
Most shampoos contain sulfates, especially the ones made for dandruff, and they do a good job of cleaning your hair and scalp. Because they’re so strong, however, they end up removing the natural oils you need to protect your head and hair, and that leads to dry scalp.
From there, you start to experience itching and irritation. So you scratch. Your body responds by producing more oil, which can then lead to inflammation and make everything worse. So you use more shampoo.
Oddly enough, the very thing designed to help with dry scalp and dandruff ends up causing it and leads to a cycle of dependency.
All of this is to say that if you want to stop the dry scalp, you should try switching to a sulfate-free shampoo.
The Benefits of Sulfate-Free Shampoos
Sulfate-free shampoos can clean just as well as their sulfate counterparts. They include ingredients that are similar in structure but gentler on your hair.
They’ll help your skin start the process of restoring its natural sebum production, which will help stop your head from drying out and itching. As an added bonus, your hair might thicken and even start to regrow in some places. And, if you use hair dyes or bleach your hair, you might notice that your color lasts longer.
How Do I Find A Sulfate-Free Shampoo?
The easiest way to find a sulfate-free shampoo is too look for one that has “sulfate-free” written on the label. However, not all bottles include that label, so you might have to dig around in the ingredients list to check.
In the meantime, if you want to check your shampoo and see if it might be causing your dry scalp, you can. Look for any ingredient that contains the word “sulfate” in it. A few of the more popular ones are sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), sodium laureth sulfate (SLES) and ammonium laureth sulfate (ALS).
Of course, you can always try our Puretanica Cool Bliss Shampoo and Conditioner. Both of them are natural and, most importantly, sulfate-free.
Just to help you out, here’s a list of some of the natural ingredients in Puretanica, plus the benefits they provide for your hair!
- Aloe Vera treats dry and damaged skin by reducing flaking and restoring suppleness.
- Argan Oil has anti-microbial properties, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory ingredients, and helps eliminate the conditions on the scalp that cause dry skin. Argan Oil can also help regulate sebum production in the scalp, making it a natural remedy to fight dry scalp, soothing an inflamed scalp, while reducing itchiness and redness.
- Avocado Oil adds moisture and soothes, calming itchy and dry skin, while hydrating and moisturizing skin, shielding from UV radiation and protecting against skin damage.
- Cedarwood Bark Oil reduces inflammation and coagulation of skin to protect skin from toxins and bacteria.
- Menthol treats dandruff spots as the minty harshness breaks down clumps of dead skin, making it easier to rinse away.
- Peppermint Oil is an anti-microbial and reduces inflammation.
- Sweet Almond Oil is deeply moisturizing and helps remove dead skin cells on the scalp.
- Tea Tree Oil contains antifungal and antibacterial elements that fight fungus causing drying out of your scalp.